OK, now I start gearing up for the Breeders Cup, so let’s deal with the ladies first, this week.
Here are the power rankings, as noted by various online sources.
- Blind Luck +150 – - She’s less than a 2/1 favorite in the sports book, but the bookies are not sure she can be beat. She loves Churchill and there appears to be plenty of speed lining up for this race.
- Malibu Prayer +2000 – - This is Pletcher’s best shot for a Ladies Classic victory. Yes, she’s a speedball but she can rate right off of Havre De Grace and if the rest of the speed is scared of her, then forget it. She’s definitely a Breeders Cup betting overlay at +2000.
- Havre De Grace +400 – - If nobody goes with her, she’ll win this race easily. Still, Blind Luck almost caught her in that Grade II in their last and Luck gave her weight. She probably won’t get the easy lead she will need in order to hold off her rival on Nov. 5th.
- Persistently +1200 – - She’s a cut below the rest in this even though she did beat Life At Ten in the Grade I Personal Ensign at Saratoga during the summer. She also beat Rachel Alexandra in this race. The problem is that Persistently is a dead closer facing a great closer in Blind Luck. However, if the pace is ridiculously fast and Blind Luck isn’t on her game, Persistently could sneak across the finish line first.
- Life At Ten +500 – - This is where the supposed favorite for the BC Ladies Classic shows up on my list. She seems to be a one-turn Belmont Park specialist to me. I just can’t endorse her at the Breeders Cup betting odds in the horse racing sportsbook to beat Havre De Grace, Malibu Prayer or Blind Luck.
- Unrivalled Belle +1000 – - She’s finished 2nd in three straight Grade I races and she does have a victory over the Churchill Downs racing strip. There are some things to like about this Bill Mott trained mare the best of which are her overlaid 10 to 1 odds in the horse racing sports book.
- Evening Jewel +2000 – - I believe she’s too tired to really contend. Then again, she almost held off Blind Luck for the Kentucky Oaks victory in May and she will return to dirt for this. Maybe the return to dirt helps her step up her game.
- Thanks to all the sources that contributed to this ranking.